Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Going Eastering



Easter in Washington is not the same as being at home with family. I was reading some blogs of lucky cousins who were able to enjoy a good old easter weekend back home and must admit I got a little homesick. I remember one time I was working in Utah County and someone asked me what I was doing that weekend. I said:

"Going Eastering."

He said: "What?...Eastering" What the heck is that?"

"Oh, well we have a picnic and find a nice big hill that we can dig a little trail on, we climb up the hill and roll our Easter eggs down the trail."

He said: "Never heard of it before. You actually roll your eggs down the hill? Is this what everyone in Sanpete County does?"

To which I replied I wasn't sure if everyone else did it. It was just something my family did every year and had plenty of fun memories of rolling eggs down the hill, shooting guns and riding four wheelers.

There's two problems with finding a hill in Seattle to roll eggs.

1. All hills around here are completely covered in vines and bushes. It would take hours just to get the soil to make a trail.

2. We'd probably violate some "green" ordinance and have the tree-loving people of Seattle knocking on our door for destroying the "natural environment" if we even scratched the dirt and then rolled our eggs down the hill.

Maybe next year we'll have to go "urban eastering" and roll the eggs down the sidewalk by our house, since we live on a hill. That might just have to do until we're home again.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

we missed you guys! Sounds like you are moving right along in your schooling, you will probably be closer sooner than you think! I am jealous of where you are! So beautiful

alison said...

I said the same thing to your mom, "what is Eastering?" I had never heard of it before. Sounds fun though.

It's nice you are updating your blog. I gave up looking a while ago because you didn't seem to write. Blogging keeps me sane.

Check my blog and you can see the new additions to my family!

Corey said...

You make me laugh! It's so true, Seattle has some quirky people and ideas. County living is much more relaxing. Someday when our husbands are through with school we can spread ourselves out so far you won't even be able to see or hear the neighbors. Ahhhh!