Monday, November 10, 2008

I Hope He Remembers...

You know how we're encouraged to write down important things so that our posterity will have our words of wisdom and know all about us?


Well, here's a few things for my posterity, specifically Aiden, to remember about his Mommy...and Nannie.

This past weekend my Mom came for a visit. I told her all I wanted for my birthday was for her to come and visit and help me with a quilt for Aiden's bed. So finally, my birthday present arrived on Thursday.

At first Aiden was a little shy around her. He was excited to see her, but just a little hesitant. When Nannie asked if she could help him put on his pj's he replied, "No, only my mommy can do it 'cause she's THE coolest."

Honestly. My heart was filled with joy. My son thinks I'm the coolest. But, Nannie was a little disappointed. She flies all the way here and this is the Nannie treatment she gets. Not too fair.

Well, the next day Aiden finally warmed right up and wanted Nannie to help him with everything. When we got back from shopping he said, "My Nannie is the most awesomest Nannie."
I breathed a sigh of relief.

So what is it I hope Aiden remembers? Well, to start off with, I want him to know how incredibly awesome his Nannie is. She's talented. She's patient. She works hard. She taught me how to do laundry, clean toilets, plant a garden, bottle peaches, and sew a straight seam. She lugged five young kids to church for 12 years while my Dad was a counselor and then the bishop; and we were on time most of the time.

She owned a dance studio and my life has never been the same since I was part of the Country Cousin Cloggers and learned the Clog Down at Clog Camp. She made me practice the piano every day, even when I didn't want to. She wouldn't let me sleep in and never let me watch cartoons long enough on Saturday mornings. She rounded up three Cabbage Patch Dolls for Christmas gifts back in the day when you were lucky to just get your hands on only one.

She is the lifeblood of our family and has a sincere desire to do good, be an example, and serve others. When I look at all she's done and who she is, I quickly realize I have very big shoes to fill.

So Aiden, yes, your Nannie is the awesomest. And, somewhere along the way....like say in... oh, 10 years from now I hope you still think I'm the coolest. Then I'll know I've at least done something right along the way.

Thanks Mom for the visit. Let's do it again soon!

4 comments:

Melissa said...

Mom's really are the best! I wish my mom could come visit! She and my dad are serving a mission so I guess I'll have to wait. But hey, I do have a cool mom coming to visit! YOU!!

Rhett and Tiffanie Jackson said...

we think your mom is pretty cool too. Your visit makes me miss mine!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kristen. I just saw your comment on Emily's blog, and thought I'd say hi. What a beautiful tribute to such a wonderful woman. Your mom is truly someone we can all look up to. Your little boy is adorable!
Shayla (Anderson) Johnson

Chelle! said...

You look so much like your beautiful Mom. I am glad that you had a splendid time and that Aiden got use to his Nannie.