Tuesday, December 9, 2008

And the List Goes On and On and On..

I'm sitting here slowly drifting off to sleep listening to one of my most favorite Christmas songs wondering why the Christmas season just can't be what we so often sing praises for it to be...calm, silent, and a little bit more calm.

Tomorrow is December 10th and two weeks before Christmas. I just barely made a present shopping list two days ago. It's hardly seemed like the Christmas season is upon us, I blame that partly on the fact that Aiden has conveniently misplaced my Christmas CDs. I caught him playing football with them - a bunch of discs lined up on the carpet. Some were the Huskies, some were the Sooners, and the losers were the Utes. :)

Anyway, let's just say I'm having a hard time getting into the swing of things this year. But, maybe it's because my list is so long I haven't had time to enjoy the peace and calm of the season yet.

Point in case, here's my highlights for today:

1. organize speaking parts for Spanish recording tomorrow
2. contact 8 voice talents and get their recording appointments booked
3. find translator to help me make phone calls because 7 voice talents don't speak english
4. call back 7 voice talents to get appointments booked
5. track down 500 Spanish speaking leads for phone drills
6. track down more Spanish speaking leads and had to literally search the planet for them...ended up finding a vendor in Australia.
7. listen to tracks 5 and 6 in new CD audio. review studio edits to make sure they are correct.
8. get aiden dressed. teech brushed. hair combed. boy he needs a hair cut...not sure if i can brave it out, trying to let it grow out.
9. make aiden's lunch while coordinating with a lead interviewer so we have more leads to call
10. take aiden to school
11. listen to more audio tracks and review studio edits
12. reply to graphic designer and copy editor and explain why I haven't replied to their emails
13. listen to more tracks on the CD. make additional editing notes for studio
14. pick up aiden from preschool
15. play football with aiden
16. get aiden a snack
17. play pirates and treasure maps with aiden
18. take aiden over to the neighbor's to play
19. hop into a conference call, coordinate a million things that need to be discussed
20. go pick up aiden
20. ahh. take a break for 30 minutes and visit with Tracey. THANKS Tracey. I needed that!
21. finish coordinating final recording appointments for tomorrow's session
22. finish negotiating a three-city event tour in Australia
23. call Tim. (the boss) Discuss the lead emergency and make a battle plan
24. research Florida area codes and determine which area codes generate the most leads
25. add area codes to lead system so we can get more leads
26. write an email introduction for a lead autoresponder
27. boogie with aiden for a few minutes. what can I say, the kid likes to dance
28. get aiden ready for bed
29. story time
30. make dessert for mom's group tomorrow
31. chat with Nat on the phone
32. chat with Mike the choir director on the phone
33. chat with Kera on the phone.
(please note all three of these calls were like back to back. hand up and the phone would ring about a minute later)
34. email recipes for family Christmas book
35. coordinate a few details for mo and tim's christmas present
36. while coordinating details for mo's present get side tracked and decide to write this blog.

And, this is what still needs to get done before I can shut my little weary eyes tonight:
37. finish writing the narration for the choir christmas program. four more sections plus the conclusion left to write. must finish before choir practice tomorrow night.
38. pick up this poor neglected house
40. finish working on mom's christmas present
41. finish making the dessert for mom's group tomorrow
42. wash the dishes.

Well, it took me 15 minutes to recount today's happenings. Could have used that time to pick up the poor neglected house. Oh well. I've missed my blog. And speaking of my blog, my goal over the weekend was to write down my thoughts of my beloved mother in law. Tomorrow hopefully..it's an important post and I want to be in the right frame of mind to write it.

And did I mention there's still presents to buy, Christmas cards to address, stamps to buy, packages to mail and good grief..we haven't even hung our stockings up yet.

Oh the joys of the Christmas season. Point in case why it's so important to just take a step back and truly reflect on why we celebrate this holiday, and think of Him, who is the ultimate source of peace.

So for the next 15 minutes, my list is going to be thrown out the window and I'm going to clear out the mind clutter and focus on real peace. Ah....the kind of peace that renews, and strengthens and focuses me on what's most important in life....
p.s. and the by way, if you read that ridiculously long to do list you rock.

6 comments:

Sarah said...

OH MY GOODNESS! You put my boring day to shame--you are so busy! And yet, you still make time to play pirates. Good job balancing /multi-tasking mom!

Bethany said...

Kristyn,

You rock. And so did that amazing dessert you made last night with your precious minutes.

Honestly, I know exactly how you feel (except I haven't been tracking down 500 voice talents!)

Bravo, bravo! And thanks for sharing, so I can relate. It really does help.

A Little Bit of Hogge Heaven said...

Kristyn,
I got worn out just reading your list. Mine isn't as bad, and now that the crutches are almost gone, I might be able to capture my life back again. As you said, the spirit of Christmas is important, not what we get done for it. Remember the reason for the season!!! You're awesome,
Debbie

Corey said...

You put us all to shame! You are a power house! I wish I could accomplish as much as you do in one day. When I have a list that long it makes me just tired reading it and then I give up and go to bed. Hmmm, sounds a bit depressing. I guess sometime I just try to avoid doing what needs to be done. SIGH!

The Dyreng's said...

Bless your little hear Kristyn. Just think though in less then two weeks you will ge sitting in Gunnison Valley playing cards with your family!

Anonymous said...

Wow... seriously, just reading your list puts my "busy" day to shame! Have a great Christmas!