Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Backfire


A brilliant plan that Dr. Tom and I came up with backfired on me the other day.

A few months ago Aiden was introduced to a new seasonal sidekick; his own personal Elf named Bernard. Bernard is a magical little guy who hung around our house and his only job 24/7 was to observe Aiden.

If Aiden was obedient and happy and did good things then Bernard reported this to Santa.

If Aiden was naughty then Bernard had to report this to Santa too.

It was one of the best ways to help keep him on task that we've ever used. All we had to do was mention Bernard's name and he whipped right into shape. Disobedience immediately did an about face and we instantly had a happy, willing and obedient child at our side.

Well, after Christmas was over Aiden asked if Bernard was going to still be around. We told him that Bernard needed to go be with his family and with Santa at the North Pole for a while, but that he would check in every once in a while.

So that brings me to how this whole brilliant parenting idea backfired.

A few days ago I was running an errand. Actually, was turning in the final forms for an Airforce scholarship Dr. Tom is applying for. While we were walking back to the car Aiden got distracted by a dirt field with all kinds of rocks that are perfect for throwing. Since there wasn't anything in the field I let him throw rocks for a few minutes.

After a while I told him we needed to get going and he just ignored me. I reminded him to put his listening ears on, but still, no response. After several reminders I told him that I was getting in the car and leaving. I continued to be ignored.

So I got in the car and started it up and the second he heard the engine turn over of course he started running toward the car.

Well, he eventually ended up in the car and as we were pulling out of the parking lot this was our conversation:

Aiden: Mom, what is Santa's phone number?

Me: It's 1-800-SANTA

Aiden: (pretending to dial on a phone) 8801 Santa. Hi Santa. This is Aiden. Yes, take away her clothes. Okay. Bye. Mom, you are on the naughty list. Santa is going to take away your things and your clothes.

Me: Why? Why did you ask Santa to do that?

Aiden: Because you left me and that was not nice.

So, now I guess it goes both ways. Parents, if you use this type of discipline in the future be aware. It could backfire.

9 comments:

Melissa said...

That is too funny!

Danielle said...

Yah, maybe it's nice my kid can't talk yet. :)

Rhett and Tiffanie Jackson said...

to funny!! Don'tcha just love (or hate)it when your kids throw your own words back at ya....lol! We have a Bernard also...I tried putting him away Christmas Eve quickly and Valerie found him...talk about thinking quick on my toes so I didn't blow his cover...lol! I know we hardly saw each other this year...you have so much family 2 see when you come home, the same thing happens to me when I go home to visit. Holiday's were fun...looking forward to spring! lol! Jentrie was ready to go back to school before New Years!
Glad you made it home safe!

Unknown said...

That is so funny...the threats don't work as well after Christmas.

JaKe and NaT* said...

k i think i peed a little when i read that.. thats is seriously so funny!! oh i just love to hear the things aiden says and does.. how i miss you guys!! next time aiden plays candyland tell him that i want to play with him and to pretend i'm there and he can take me turn.. seriously so funny!!.. hope you guys have a good rest of the week.. p.s. LOVED that website and jake thought it was really neat also!! he is on the top of my list of photographers now!! thanks for introducing me!! loves!!

Lisita said...

Is there any perfect paretning trick? Mine all seem to backfire too. :) Cute story!

peterson said...

That was so funny! My kids just treat their babies exactly how I treat them. Kind of scary!! The babies are alwasy in time out and have to wait for the buzzer to go off.

Tara H said...

ditto to peterson's comment. but my kids also use my parenting tricks on each other. Ada gets lectured by Odessa and vice versa. I have to be pretty patient because they are just copying me- how can I get mad at them?
this story was too funny- that Aiden sure can be tricky!

Corey said...

You've got one smart cookie on your hands! I give a hand to Aiden though, sorry the plan backfired.