Monday, June 15, 2009

Real JOY



I registered Aiden for swimming lessons during a three-week block in May. I was excited for him to start lessons; he did well last year and loves swimming in the pool when we've stayed at hotels.

So the first day of lessons was more than a nightmare. When the lesson started about 30 kids flocked to the pool and the leader assessed each child to determine his or her swimming ability and assigned them to a class based on their skills.

Aiden immediately tightened his grip around my leg and refused to get into the pool. I thought for sure he would love it; this pool is a heated pool with bath tub warm water. But he refused to get in.

All the other kids around us were splashing and swimming and having a great time. Why was my child scared to death? I couldn't figure it out because he loves to swim. After 15 minutes of trying to get him into the water and all of these latte-sipping moms staring at my screaming child I decided to just go home.

Thomas and I figured we had to change our strategy. Aiden has always been a little hesitant to try to new things, in new places. So we talked with him, we came up with an incentive of his choosing, and we got him totally pumped for the next lesson.

A few days later we arrived at the pool with a happy little boy who was stoked to go to swimming lessons so he could get a Slurpee at the Sev. But when it was time to get into the water his little hands just found their way around my neck and there was no way he was letting go.

It was like a nightmare all over again.

Luckily, we got him in the pool. I finally just handed him off to his teacher, James, who had to PRY his fingers from off my neck, and I walked away and right out of the pool and watched from afar through the outside fence.

He had the biggest scowl on his face; how I wish I had a camera! I could tell he was having fun but trying SO HARD to not let a smile crack through. He finished the lesson and from there it just continued to get better.

Each lesson got easier and by the last two classes he was a completely different kid in the water. I couldn't believe it. He was like a little fish.

I can not even describe the JOY I felt when he was bobbing around in the water, submerged his head under the water, and then shot out of the water, looked right at me and gave me a thumbs up and a huge grin from cheek to cheek. I was thrilled that he had earned this new-found confidence that HE COULD DO IT!

(And I hope all those latte-sipping moms noticed it too!)

This little guy went from being rigid and stiff in the water, to feeling totally comfortable submerging his face in the water, blowing bubbles, comfortably laying on his back, and completely going under the water without plugging his nose. Huge strides in just a few weeks!

While I was sitting at his last lesson and watching him bounce around and then quickly glance over to send me another thumbs up, I couldn't help but think of our Heavenly Father and how proud of us he is when we accomplish a goal, or make it through a challenging situation.

Just like I KNEW Aiden would love swimming, and just like I KNEW he could do it...I couldn't do it for him. He had to discover it on his own and it took him a while to figure that out. But once he figured it out he was awesome.

I think our Father in Heaven must feel like that sometimes. He knows we can do whatever he asks us to do, or whatever falls on our path. Sometimes we make it harder than it needs to be. And sometimes we forget who we are and what we can accomplish with His help.

How grateful I am for teaching moments like this! And even more grateful that even though swim lessons started out a little rocky, they ended on a high note. :)

Thumbs Up!




4 comments:

Jennie said...

Way to go Aiden! It really is such a scary thing to get confident in the water all over again but he did it! He looks so grown up, too. I can't believe it! I'm so anxious to see all of you real soon. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post! Congrats to Aiden. What a big boy. Hope you are having a great summer. Are you coming to Utah over the holiday?

A Little Bit of Hogge Heaven said...

Aiden is becoming a very handsome boy. We really need to get together before my chaos comes back (Aug 17)sports and teaching.

Anonymous said...

. . . . . . . . . .